Wednesday, February 26, 2014

I AM...tamed.

So...you want to know what's been stirring in me this week...well here it is... 


Relationship.
I believe in it.
It is a good thing.
Marriage.
I believe in it.
It is a good thing.

A good, healthy, fruitful relationship/marriage allows two individuals to grow each other into who they really are.

I realize we don't all have 100% awesome experiences of relationships.  Whether that be past or present personal experiences or the past or present experiences of those close to us.

And still...
My heart says YES to marriage.
It says YES knowing, that seasons (both short and sometimes so terribly long) could possibly sit around the corner waiting to pour in.
It says YES knowing, that commitment is hard-work.
It says YES knowing, that it's never only about me anymore (but was it ever only about me?)
It says YES knowing, that sometimes my heart will be broken.
It says YES knowing, I could break someone else's heart.
It says YES knowing, at any moment, out of my control, the other person could call it all off and despite all my efforts and fights and commitment, it could be over...
It says YES.

I say YES.
YES, Marriage.
I believe in it.
It is a good thing.

Relationship is always worth it.

We are not alive unto ourselves.  We are alive in unity with those around us. 

In marriage with Jesus the bridegroom or in marriage with earthly man:
We invest in each other fully only to become more fully alive --each of us.


Love is worth the risk of pain. 
My heart screams this.
My spirit believes this with everything that's in me. 


I can't describe it any better than with some quotes from one of my favorite books, "The Little Prince.":


“ONE RUNS THE RISK OF WEEPING A LITTLE, IF ONE LETS HIMSELF BE TAMED."

“Of course I’ll hurt you. Of course you’ll hurt me. Of course we will hurt each other. But this is the very condition of existence. To become spring, means accepting the risk of winter. To become presence, means accepting the risk of absence.”

“…but if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world…if you tame me, it will be as if the sun came to shine on my life. I shall know the sound of a step that will be different from all the others. Other steps send me hurrying back underneath the ground. Yours will call me, like music, out of my burrow.”

“What does tamed mean? It's something that's been too often neglected. It means to create ties.”

“I am beginning to understand," said the little prince. "There is a flower... I think that she has tamed me...”



I'm sorry but isn't that crazy beautiful?  Does this make anyone else just burst into tears? 
AMAZING. 
I want to tame. 
I want to be tamed. 
I don't want to stay in my burrow hiding from potential pain. 

It is SO worth it. 
Let our walls come down. 
May we open ourselves up, vulnerability come forth, trusting.

It is SO worth it. 
We are SO worth it.
HE is SO worth it.

I hope you hear my heart in this...

2 comments:

  1. The fox was always my favorite character in Le Petit Prince, and not just because he was played be Gene Wilder in the live action movie. The quotes you posted always resounded with me. Thanks for the reminder. :)

    Interesting note: I remember this quote leading to a brief crisis when I heard that Chris Tomlin song "Indescribable"-- what does it mean if God is untameable if we have that understanding of being tamed as being in right relationship?-- I decided that CT probably never read Le Petit Prince or at least didn't think of the word the same way I do. Problem solved?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought about that Chris Tomlin song. Huh. I guess I disagree with him. At least by our definition. LOVE these quotes! LOVE that book! Always have always will!

    ReplyDelete